Syndal Ortman, APRN, DNP, FNP-BC
Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
"I believe in holistic health care and addressing the physical, emotional, and practical concerns of each person as a whole. My philosophy of care involves empowering patients and their families to take an active role in their health and recovery."
Syndal Ortman is a Nurse Practitioner who specializes in the care of cancer patients. She earned a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing degree at the College of St. Catherine in 2007 and worked as a chemotherapy certified registered nurse before receiving her Doctorate of Nursing Practice degree from the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities in 2012. Syndal is the program director of the Cancer Survivorship and Cancer Rehabilitation programs in the cancer center. She sees cancer survivors and their families in clinic for long term follow up appointments, cancer risk assessments, screening recommendations, wellness and health promotion guidelines, care coordination, and education. Syndal also performs outpatient bone marrow biopsies in the cancer center. Special interests and other projects include nursing education, social media and marketing, and grant writing.
- Survivorship Training and Rehab Certification
- Board Certified by the American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
- Academy of Oncology Nurse & Patient Navigators
- Advanced Practitioner Society for Hematology and Oncology
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Minnesota Society of Clinical Oncology
- Minnesota Cancer Alliance
- Minnesota Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Coalition
- Oncology Nursing Society
- Ortman, S. (2015). Case 20: Survivorship Care Planning. In M. Polovich & M.G. Saria (Eds.), Chemotherapy & Biotherapy Case Studies (pp. 169-178). Pittsburgh, PA: Oncology Nursing Society.
"Outside of work I enjoy gardening, hiking and canoeing, and refinishing furniture."