Sarah E. Lucken, MD, MS
Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
"I am totally committed to patient-centered care. I try to address the concerns of the patient and parents, providing a clear plan for going forward, whether educating them on what to expect in an illness to providing timely referrals to specialists, if needed, to giving advice about ways to improve their general overall health. For my medically complex patients, I try to coordinate their care, making their followup appointments with me and with specialists as convenient as possible."
Dr. Sarah Lucken is a general pediatrician who cares for children of all ages, from newborns to adolescents. She has special expertise in caring for medically complex newborns in the Newborn Intensive Unit Followup Clinic and in evaluating suspected cases of child abuse and neglect as a member of the Child Maltreatment Consult Team. Her other areas of interest and expertise include caring for new immigrant children and evaluating and managing overweight children; she is in the process of becoming board-certified in obesity medicine.
- Board Certified in Pediatrics
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Minnesota American Academy of Pediatrics
- Swenson, A, Derauf, C., Lucken, S., Reporting child maltreatment and abuse, Minnesota Physician, February 2015.
- Lucken, S., Corporal punishment, Minnesota Healthcare News, March 2015
- Op-Ed Commentary, Spanking is not the most effective-or safest-way to discipline children, Minneapolis Star Tribune September 26, 2014.
"I enjoy attending the many activities of my children, from jazz band concerts to Nordic ski races and soccer games. The kids, my husband and I also enjoy hiking, particularly in national parks (our favorite is Glacier) , traveling to all 50 states mainly by car, attending plays, watching movies, reading books and "The New Yorker", and eating good food. I enjoy playing sports and have coached at least 30 youth soccer and basketball teams."
University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI, USA
Pediatrics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA