M. Thomas Stillman, MD, FACP
General Internal Medicine
Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
"I have always stressed the importance of the doctor-patient relationship with emphasis on the bedside examination."
Dr. Stillman's major research interests have been arthritis therapy and the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), renal and gastric toxicity. He has lectured extensively, nationally and internationally on these subjects. He served 7 years on the FDA Arthritis Advisory Committee with particular interest in NSAID related renal issues.
- Director of the Division of Rheumatology, HCMC for 30 years
- Director of Undergraduate Medical Education for 17 years
- Professor of Medicine, University of Minnesota School of Medicine
- AOA Faculty Teaching Award 2016
- Selected by U of MN students to be "greeter" for past 16 commencement ceremonies
- Minnesota Medical Foundation Distinguished Teaching Award/Clinical Faculty, 1996-2000, 2004
- Minnesota Medical Foundation Outstanding Medical School Teacher Award, 1998
- Lifetime Teaching Award from the Minnesota Medical Foundation, 2005
- Harold S. Diehl Award, 2005
- Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award, 2008
- University of Minnesota Cardiology Fellows' Faculty Teaching Award, 2009
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Hennepin County Medical Society
- Minneapolis Society of Internal Medicine
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
- American Rheumatism Association
- Founding Fellow, American College of Rheumatology
- CDIM Clerkship Directors in Internal Medicine
- Minnesota Arthritis Foundation
- Minnesota Medical Directors Association
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
- Stillman MJ, Stillman MT. Appropriate use of NSAIDs; Considering cadiovascular risk in the elderly. Geriatrics. 2007;62(3):16-21.
- Stillman MJ, Stillman MT. Choosing nonselective NSAIDs and selective COX-2 inhibitors in the elderly; a clinical use pathway. Geriatrics. 2007;62(2):26-34.
- Stillman MT, Schlesinger PA. NSAID nephrotoxicity: should we be concerned? Arch Intern Med. 1990;150:268-270.
- Blackshear JL, Napier JS, Davidman M, Stillman MT. Renal complications of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: identification and monitoring of those at risk. Semin Arthritis Rheum.1985;14:163-175.
- Stillman MT, Napier JS. Adverse effects of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs on the kidney. Med Clin North Am.1984;68:371-385.
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Internal Medicine, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Clinical Rheumatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Rheumatology, Madigan General Hospital, Tacoma, WA, USA