William G. Heegaard, MD
Dr. Heegaard specializes in Emergency Medicine with an emphasis in Helicopter Emergency Medical Services. His research specialties include head trauma, prehospital care and ultrasound, especially Air Medical, and the Effective Use of Administrative Operations.
- Chief Medical Officer and Chief Clinical Officer of Hennepin Health System
- Board Certified in Emergency Medicine
- Professor of Emergency Medicine, University of Minnesota Medical School
- Board of Directors, LifeLink III Air Medical Transportation
- Medical Director, LifeLink III Air Medical Transportation
- Co-Chair on State Trauma Advisory Subcommittee on Surgical Response to Level III Hospitals 2012-2013
- Elected Member of Preferred One PPA Board
- Member of Minnesota Hospital Association CMO Board
- Minnesota Monthly "Top Doctors for Women" Recognition
- Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine "Top Doctor" Recognition
- Ernie Ruiz Faculty Teaching Award, HCMC Department of Emergency Medicine
- Fellow, American College of Emergency Medicine
- Dokuz Eyul University Outstanding Faculty Award, Izmir, Turkey
- Recipient of Emergency Medicine Foundation Resident Research Award
- Past Chairman of the Board, Minnesota Emergency Physicians Action Committee
- Past President Minnesota Chapter, American College of Emergency Physicians Board of Directors
- Minnesota Chapter, American College of Emergency Physicians Board of Directors
- American Academy of Emergency Medicine
- Air Medical Physicians Association
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
- American College of Emergency Physicians
- Dawes D, Heegaard W, Brave M, Paetow G, Weston B, Ho J. Body-Worn Cameras Improve Law Enforcement Officer Report Writing Accuracy. J Law Enforcement, 2015; 4 (6): 1-21. Online at http://jghcs.info/index.php/l/article/viewFile/410/355
- Cole JB, Heegaard WG, Deeds JR, McGrath SC, Handy SM. Tetrodotoxin Poisoning Outbreak from Imported Dried Puffer Fish, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2014. MMWR Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2015 Jan 2; 63 (51&52): 1222-1225.
- Roline CE, Heegaard WG, Moore JC, Joing SA, Hildebrandt DA, Biros MH, Caroon LV, Plummer DW, Reardon RF. Feasibility of Bedside Thoracic Ultrasound in the Helicopter Emergency Medical Services Setting. Air Medical Journal. May-June 2013; 32 (3): 153-157
- Heegaard W., Halperin H, Luceri R. Response to Zipes ECD advocacy article. Circulation. January 2013; 127 (1): e260. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.112.121988.
- Ho JD, Smith SW, Nystrom PC, Dawes DM, Orozco BS, Cole JB, Heegaard WG. Successful management of excited delirium syndrome with prehospital ketamine: two case examples. Prehospital Emergency Care. April 2012; 17 (2): 274-279. doi: 10.3109/10903127.2012.729129. Epub 2012 Dec 11.
- Kroll MW, Dawes DM, Heegaard WG. TASER electronic devices and eye injuries. Documenta Ophthalmologica. 2011; 126 (2): 157-159.
- Roline CE, Heegaard WG, Anderson KS, Early pregnancy with an intrauterine device in place. Critical Ultrasound Journal. 2011; 3 (2): 91-92.
- Ho JD, Dawes DM, Heegaard WG, Calkins HG, Moscati RM, Miner JR Absence of Electrocardiographic Change after Prolonged Application of a Conducted Electrical Weapon in Physically Exhausted Adults, Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2011 Nov; 41 (5): 466-72. Epub 2009 May 13.
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Emergency Medicine, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN, USA