Matthew R. Syzdek, PhD, LP
Dr. Syzdek is an integrated behavioral health provider, specializing in brief psychological interventions for mental, physical, and chemical health conditions. He completed a PhD in clinical psychology at Clark University in Worcester, MA and a master's in counseling psychology at Boston College in Chestnut Hill, MA. He is currently pursuing an MBA in Health Care at the University of St. Thomas, Minneapolis, MN. At HCMC, he treats health conditions with cognitive and behavioral therapies including behavioral activation, exposure therapies, and acceptance and commitment therapy. He helps patients with behavior change using motivational interviewing strategies. In addition to treatment, Dr. Syzdek manages Primary Care Behavioral Health and Health Psychology. Dr. Syzdek is also actively involved in training other health professionals in motivational interviewing and primary care behavioral health interventions. His research interests are in men's mental health, specifically motivational interventions for help-seeking behaviors.
- American Psychological Association
- Minnesota Psychological Association
- Syzdek, M. R., Addis, M. E., & Green, J. D. Gender-based motivational interviewing for increasing mental health service use in college men. Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Syzdek, M. R., Addis, M. E., Green, J. D., Whorley, M. R., & Berger, J. L. (2014). A pilot trial of gender-based motivational interviewing for help-seeking and internalizing symptoms in men. Psychology of Men and Masculinity, 15(1), 90-94.
- Berger, J. L., Addis, M. E., Reilly, E. R., Syzdek, M. R., & Green, J. D. (2012). Effects of gender, diagnostic labels, and causal theories on willingness to report symptoms of depression. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 31(5), 439-457.
- Syzdek, M. R. & Addis, M. E. (2010). Adherence to masculine norms and attributional processes predict depressive symptoms in recently unemployed men. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 34(6), 533-543.
- Addis, M.E., Mansfield, A. & Syzdek, M.R. (2010). Is masculinity a problem?: Framing the effects of gendered social learning in Men. Psychology of Men and Masculinity, 11(2), 77-90.