James B. Wetmore, MD, MS
Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
"Patients face huge challenges in understanding the risks and benefits of different treatment options as they navigate a complex healthcare system. In our clinic, we take great pride in carefully discussing the patient's medical conditions, in making sure the patient understands the different treatment options available, and in assisting them with follow-up and care coordination."
Dr. Wetmore is a general nephrologist with interest in chronic kidney disease and maintenance dialysis. His particular expertise is in acute dialysis modalities such as continuous renal replacement therapy.
Dr. Wetmore joined the faculty of Hennepin County Medical Center in 2013. His clinical responsibilities include attending on the HCMC consult and ward services, rounding on maintenance dialysis patients in the community, and seeing patients with kidney disease in continuity care clinic in the Parkside building, where he is the Clinical Lead for the Nephrology Clinic. He participates in and conducts observational research as well as clinical trials sponsored by industry, and he maintains an investigator-initiated research program utilizing large administrative databases. He is currently an Associate Professor of Medicine and the Medical Director for Nephrology Research for the Chronic Disease Research Group at HCMC.
- Award for Teaching by a Senior Medical Resident, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 2000
- American Society of Nephrology
Selected from over 65 peer-reviewed publications:
- Wetmore JB, Liu J, Do TP, Lowe KA, Ishani A, Bradbury BD, Block GA, Collins AJ. Changes in secondary hyperparathyroidism-related biochemical parameters and medication use following parathyroidectomy. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2016 Jan;31(1):103-11.
- Wetmore JB, Mahnken JD, Phadnis MA, Ellerbeck EF, Shireman TI. Relationship between calcium channel blocker class and mortality in dialysis. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2015 Dec;24(12):1249-58.
- Wetmore JB, Collins AJ. Meeting the World's Need for Maintenance Dialysis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015 Nov;26(11):2601-3.
- Wetmore JB, Tang F, Sharma A, Jones PG, Spertus JA. The association of chronic kidney disease with the use of renin-angiotensin system inhibitors after acute myocardial infarction. Am Heart J. 2015 Oct;170(4):735-43.
- Wetmore JB, Gurevich K, Sprague S, Da Roza G, Buerkert J, Reiner M, Goodman W, Cooper K. A Randomized Trial of Cinacalcet versus Vitamin D Analogs as Monotherapy in Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (PARADIGM). Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015 Jun 5;10(6):1031-40.
"When outside of work, I enjoy European travel. Closer to home, we'll take the dogs on long hikes though Minnesota's glorious state parks."
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School at Dallas, Dallas, TX, USA
Internal Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA