Student Nurse Internships
The Student Nurse Intern functions under the supervision of a Registered Nurse which will allow him/her to gain experience in the clinical setting. The primary focus is educational—assisting the student nurse to prepare for a position as a graduate nurse. The intern may care for patients ranging in age from newborn to elderly, dependent on the unit assigned. This is a 10-week program, 64 hours per two-week pay period, beginning June 3rd, 2013 and ending August 9th, 2013.
Student Nurse Intern Duties
- Hone your nursing assessment skills.
- Perform treatments and procedures such as dressing changes, blood glucose testing and tube feedings
- Administer medications including hanging certain IV’s based on student nurse intern restricted activities list and unit specific policies.
- Participate in the development and implementation of care plans and patient education.
- Assist with the collection of physical and psychosocial data.
- Collaborate with health care team developing and implementing individual plans of care and patient education.
- Collaborate with the RN in conducting admission interviews, transferring and discharging patients with RN co-signature.
- Assume responsibility for documenting the cares, medications and treatments provided in the patient medical record.
- Assist physicians and nurses with medical/surgical procedures.
- Increase your critical thinking skills, and working with health care professionals to provide interdisciplinary care.
Student nurse interns will be expected to work the same shift as their RN preceptor which could include rotating shifts and every other weekend. Please let us know of any barriers that would prevent you from meeting this expectation.
Please Note: external applicants selected for an interview with Hennepin County Medical Center must provide data for a Criminal Background Study. Offers of employment from Hennepin County Medical Center are conditional and contingent upon successful completion of all background studies.
Hennepin County Medical Center recognizes that diversity enriches the workplace and encourages individuals with bilingual and/or bicultural skills/experience to apply for positions for which they meet the qualifications. If you need assistance with the application process, please contact the Human Resources Service Center at (612) 873-2277.