Geriatric Medicine Fellowship
A one-year clinical program
Training Specialists With a Passion For Senior Care
About Our Program
Rapid growth in the American senior population is creating new demand for specialists in geriatric medicine. The one-year Geriatric Medicine Fellowship at HCMC prepares internists and family physicians to be leaders and experts in clinical practice with the elderly. Our fellowship was founded in 1999. It is ACGME-accredited and received accreditation "with commendation" in our most recent evaluation.
What sets us apart
- Commitment to exceptional senior care. Our faculty and our fellows share a passion for all aspects of geriatric medicine. Fellows learn the latest knowledge and skills in senior care in an energetic, interdisciplinary environment. Graduates find our program intensely personally rewarding.
- Vulnerable adult experience. HCMC physicians gain valuable insights by collaborating in one of the country’s first geriatric medicine-adult protection law enforcement partnerships, designed to protect at-risk seniors. Fellows serve as medical consultants to Hennepin County case workers as they investigate individuals reported to the Adult Protection program as potential victims of abuse, neglect, or financial exploitation.
- Diverse patient population. Our program structure enables our physicians to care for the full spectrum of senior populations, including healthy elders, frail elderly, those who are cognitively impaired, and those with terminal illness. Training includes specialized experience in Parkinson’s disease, dementia and Alzheimer’s care, end-of-life and palliative care training, biomedical ethics, and more.
- Multi-site rotations. Geriatric Medicine fellows gain hands-on clinical experience in a range of environments, with a strong focus on outpatient care. Rotations include nursing facility, ambulatory geriatrics clinics and in-patient experiences, as well as community and home care settings. This well-rounded training prepares our graduates for leadership positions in senior care facilities, for clinical practice, or as teaching faculty.
- Leadership opportunities. From day one, fellows undertake leadership roles in a variety of situations, including teaching residents and medical students, participating in HCMC’s Biomedical Ethics committee, providing guidance in vulnerable adult protection teams, and training to serve as geriatric medicine consultants to other physicians.
About Our Facility
The Geriatric Medicine Fellowship is based at HCMC, one of the premier public teaching hospitals in the country. Our campus in Downtown Minneapolis spans five city blocks and houses in-patient and ambulatory services, our Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center, numerous specialty clinics, and our ambulatory senior care clinic. As a public hospital, HCMC serves a multicultural patient population, including the region’s urban and underserved individuals.
|Lawrence J. Kerzner, MD FACP, AGSF
|Hennepin County Medical Center
Geriatric Medicine Division
701 Park Avenue, S5.132
Minneapolis, MN 55415
The Geriatric Medicine Fellowship at HCMC is ACGME accredited.