Emergency Medicine Education: Law Enforcement
Emergency education courses for law enforcement
Tactical Emergency Medical Peace Officer (TEMPO) and First Responders refresher courses provide instructional principles and skills that can be used every day by front line patrol personnel and field investigators.
This course is not designed to replace a formal tactical program for SWAT teams, but should rather be considered a force multiplier of tactical medical personnel.
These courses cover all of the basic EMT & First Responder topics required for Minnesota refresher certification, and are taught by a cadre of well-qualified and unique faculty. The faculty collectively has decades of experience in emergency patient care, tactical EMS, and law enforcement operations.
Available only to sworn law enforcement personnel, these courses are unlike any standard EMT Refresher that you have attended. The course will enable you to use the skills that you have developed and apply them specifically to your occupational setting in ways that you have never thought of. Following successful program completion, your certification is valid for a period of 2 years but the skills you earn will be helpful to you and your partners for your career. First Responders will have to attend the complete three day course. Officer may encounter light to moderate physical activity during this course.
TEMPO Tactical Emergency Care (TEC)
This one-day course follows the guidelines of the USDOT First Responder National Standard Curriculum and the Prehospital Trauma Life Support Military edition, this 8-hour course will train a student to respond under austere, occupation-specific conditions to provide tactical life saving interventions. Emphasis will be placed upon introducing the basic tactical and medical knowledge and skills to function in this environment. This curriculum includes skills necessary for the individual to provide emergency medical care with a limited amount of equipment. Specifically, after successful completion of the program, the student will be capable of performing the following functions:
- Recognize and treat the top three preventable injuries that result in fatal outcomes for Law Enforcement officers (LEO’s)
- Recognize and manage persons that may be experiencing Excited Delirium Syndrome
- Effectively and safely perform Medical Life Saving Interventions when appropriate
Please contact us at 612-873-6222, for more information, dates and times.
The TEMPO program was featured on KSTP news in February 2013. Access the Police Get Medical Training in High-Pressure Situations story.
Overview of Course Plan
- EMT & First Responder Basic Refresher (fulfills National and MN requirements)
- Certificate issued upon completion
- Occupation specific emergency medical training
- Scenario based skill evaluations and instruction
- Course design specific to Law Enforcement personnel
- Low student to instructor ratio for continuous feedback
- Expanded Instruction on additional medical topics such as Excited Delirium Syndrome recognition and treatment; Officer Survival Physiology; Self Care/Partner Care; Tactical Evacuation; Critical Decision drills; Suspect Care after TASER Device application
- Approximately 50% of the course is field based with use of the training tower.
Upcoming Classes and Registration Information
TEMPO EMT Refresher – registration and information
TEMPO First Responder Refresher – registration and information
TEMPO Tactical Emergency Care (TEC) - One-day course focusing on the life-saving basics. Please contact us at 612-873-6222 for dates and times.
For more information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-873-6222.