A five-year categorical program with general surgery emphasis
Early operative experience in a collegial environment
About Our Program
Founded in 1955, the Surgery Residency at HCMC remains on the cutting edge of clinical training, preparing our graduates for sought-after positions in general surgery and fellowships.
Our residents learn from dedicated faculty within the HCMC system, an urban, academic hospital that serves the most serious trauma patients and the area’s safety net population. Additional rotations at private hospitals give residents a comprehensive view of surgical settings.
Working side-by-side with highly trained staff, residents quickly assume critical decision-making responsibilities and gain early operative experience in a supportive, collegial environment. Our graduates develop the clinical skills, diverse experience, and procedural confidence to succeed.
What sets us apart
- Early operative experience. Our program enables residents to maximize their time in the operating room. HCMC handles approximately 15,500 procedures annually, all conducted by staff and residents. Residents play a critical role in patient care and learn directly from our faculty, without competition from surgical fellows.
- Level I Trauma Center and Burn Center. At HCMC, residents care for patients at all levels of severity, including the region’s most critical cases in our Level I Trauma Center and certified Burn Center. This fast-paced yet team-driven environment exposes residents to the full spectrum of patient pathology and latest procedures and technology.
- Diverse clinical experience. With rotations at HCMC and the Twin Cities’ top private, community, and children’s hospital settings, residents gain experience in a variety of healthcare systems and work with patients from all walks of life. At HCMC, residents care for a multicultural mix of patients who speak dozens of languages—all without ever leaving the hospital.
- High tech simulation training center. Our new, state-of-the-art Interdisciplinary Simulation and Education Center creates the perfect setting for residents to test their clinical skills, communication, and leadership abilities when faced with real-life situations. Residents quickly gain confidence to prepare them for SICU leadership.
- Collegial environment. As an academic system, teaching and research are priorities for all attending physicians. Residents collaborate daily with surgical faculty, as well as staff and residents from numerous other disciplines. This mix encourages constant discussion, a tradition of cooperation and teamwork, and a scholarly approach to patient problems.
- Strong research support. Clinical and quality improvement research is an important part of our program. Every resident works individually with our full-time education director on a research project of their choice.
About Our Facility
Our surgical facilities are located within the main HCMC campus, which spans five city blocks in downtown Minneapolis. We handle cases at all levels of severity, including day-to-day emergencies and disaster response. Our single-site facility houses in-patient and ambulatory services, the region’s highest volume Emergency Department, and numerous specialty clinics.
Surgery Department Facts
- More than 15,500 surgeries in 2012
- A premier Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center
- Newly remodeled, 17-bed inpatient Burn Center
- Paperless environment, with Level 7 implementation of Epic Electronic Medical Records system
Charleana "Charlie" Harris
Hennepin County Medical Center
The Surgery Residency at HCMC is ACGME accredited.