A dual-site program with a team approach to care
Diverse clinical experience in community and inpatient settings
About Our Program
The Psychiatry Residency at HCMC and Regions Hospital trains the next generation of psychiatrists in an environment that promotes compassion, respect, learning, and community service. It’s a great time to enter the field of psychiatry, and our dedicated faculty, patient diversity, and advanced facilities make HCMC and Regions a great place to develop your skills. We aim to train excellent clinicians who will make a difference in the lives of those who suffer mental illness in our communities.
Established in 1996, our program provides exceptional clinical training across the full continuum of care, from emergency rotations and inpatient service at two of the Twin Cities’ largest public hospitals, to outpatient work in private practice, community clinics, and in-home consultations around the metro.
Both HCMC and Regions Hospital serve the Twin Cities' immigrant and underserved population, enabling our residents to work daily with patients of all cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. Residents also collaborate with physicians, social workers, therapists, and other colleagues for a truly integrated, team approach. This collegial environment and our focus on teaching fosters learning at all levels and leads to strong patient care.
What Sets Us Apart
- Full spectrum of clinical experience. Our program prepares residents for all arenas of psychiatric care, from community-based clinics and inpatient psychology, to specialized treatment for children and adolescents, the elderly, and those with chemical dependency. Community-based rotations in PGY-2, including dedicated therapy clinics, outpatient clients, and ACT teams help develop real-world skills, confidence, and autonomy early in the program.
- Leading facilities. Regions Hospital offers a new, state-of-the-art inpatient mental health facility. HCMC houses one of the region’s largest and busiest emergency departments. Both hospitals have 100-bed inpatient units and a wide network of community-based clinics and outpatient services. We also partner with other metro providers to offer a broad outpatient experience.
- Assertive Community Treatment approach. Residents train and work in the ACT model, a team approach that integrates psychiatric treatment, rehabilitation, and support to serve individuals with serious and persistent mental illnesses. Residents work side-by-side with social workers, medical colleagues, and other professionals for community-based, comprehensive care.
- Personal and career development. Our resident-centered program creates a well-balanced atmosphere that allows each resident to thrive. Our flexible PGY-4 year enables each resident to hone their professional interests with elective rotations, clinical research, or quality improvement projects. We promote a family atmosphere that includes twice yearly retreats and combines training, service, and recreation.
- Employment and fellowship opportunities. Since inception, we’ve launched the careers of more than 80 graduates, with the majority serving in the Twin Cities and surrounding region. Our graduates are among the most sought-after in the field, with many accepting prestigious and competitive fellowships across the country.
About Our Facilities
Psychiatry residents train at two leading hospitals in the Twin Cities, both with a demonstrated commitment to the region’s safety net patient population. HCMC and Regions Hospital are large academic systems with a commitment to teaching.
Hennepin County Medical Center Facts
Psychiatry residents train at HCMC’s single-site campus, which spans five city blocks in downtown Minneapolis and houses in-patient and ambulatory services, our Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center, the region’s highest volume Emergency Department, and numerous specialty clinics—all within a single facility.
HCMC also operates a recognized system of primary care and retail clinics located throughout Hennepin County.
- 102-bed inpatient psychiatry unit.
- Acute Psychiatric Service staffed 24-hours a day to handle individuals in crisis.
- More than 42,000 crisis calls and drop-in visits annually.
- 25,000 psychiatric visits annually.
- Outpatient services for individuals of all ages, including Adult Psychiatry clinics, Women’s Mental Health program, and Child/Adolescent clinic.
- Addiction Medicine Services and clinics.
- Premier Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center.
- Electronic Health Records and fully integrated Epic system.
Regions Hospital / HealthPartners Facts
Established in 1872 as St. Paul’s City and County Hospital, Regions Hospital today is one of the central hospitals within the non-profit HealthPartners system. It serves as the primary safety net hospital for patients in the east metro. Psychiatry residents train in the new state-of-the-art mental health facility, which provides a calm, supportive atmosphere for patient-centered care.
- Full-service, private hospital.
- Located in downtown St. Paul.
- One of the Minnesota’s largest providers of mental health care.
- 100-bed inpatient psychiatry unit.
- New Mental Health Building completed in December 2012 featuring private rooms for all patients.
- Serves St. Paul, surrounding communities, and patients from Minnesota, western Wisconsin and across the midwest.
- Special programs in heart, cancer, behavioral health, burns, emergency, and trauma.
- Key teaching hospital for University of Minnesota medical students and residents.
Hennepin County Medical Center
Regions Hospital Phone: 651-254-3103
The Psychiatry Residency at HCMC is ACGME accredited.