Parkside Professional Center
825 South 8th Street, Suite 404
Minneapolis, MN 55404
It is very common to feel many different emotions when you are pregnant or parenting young children. The HCMC Mother-Baby Program offers a range of mental health services to support women and families.
Common concerns of women and families in the Mother-Baby Program:
- Postpartum depression or anxiety
- Depression, anxiety, or other emotional distress during pregnancy
- Grief and sadness due to miscarriage, loss, or infertility
- Caring for a colicky or fussy baby
- Other challenges or stress related to pregnancy or parenting
Mother-Baby HopeLine – 612-873-HOPE (4673)
- A free telephone support service for pregnant women and parents of young children.
- Call 612-873-HOPE and one of our mental health staff members will talk with you, answer questions, and help you find the support you need.
- You will be asked to leave a message. Our mental health staff members will call you back within 2 business days.
Mother-Baby Day Hospital
Intensive Outpatient Mental Health Treatment Program
The HCMC Mother-Baby Day Hospital, the 1st of its kind in Minnesota and the 4th in the country, is a unique program for pregnant women and mothers who are experiencing depression, anxiety, or other emotional distress. Mental health treatment is provided in an environment that supports participants as women and mothers, and enhances the mother-baby connection.
The Mother-Baby Day Hospital is a short-term, intensive outpatient mental health treatment program for pregnant women or mothers of young children who are experiencing symptoms of depression, anxiety, or other emotional distress that make it difficult to:
- Function at home or at work
- Take care of themselves or their baby
- Bond and connect with their baby
Women must meet criteria for admission and cannot be adequately treated through traditional outpatient services, such as weekly psychotherapy appointments.
Mothers with babies less than one year old are encouraged to bring their baby with them to the Day Hospital. Babies can be with their mothers or sleep in the nursery that is connected to the group room.
Women who are admitted to the Day Hospital attend the program for five (5) hours per day, Monday-Thursday. Most women attend for 3 weeks and participate in the following treatment:
- Group and family psychotherapy;
- Support for mother-baby bonding and connection;
- Health education on topics such as the transition to motherhood, grief and loss, caring for a baby or young child, and relaxation and mindfulness;
- Medication evaluation and management.
Individual appointments with a perinatal psychiatrist, therapist, or lactation consultant may be scheduled before or after the Day Hospital hours.
Unique Approach to Treatment
The Mother-Baby Day Hospital helps pregnant women and mothers to:
- Get necessary help while staying connected with their baby;
- Talk with other women who have similar experiences;
- Receive treatment from doctors and therapists that have specialized training and can help women consider treatment options during pregnancy and while breastfeeding;
- Avoid inpatient hospitalization.
How do I participate in the Day Hospital?
Prior to admission, you will talk face-to-face with one of our staff to be sure the Day Hospital is the appropriate level of treatment for you. You are welcome to bring your baby or another family member with you to this meeting.
Day Hospital services are billed to the participant’s insurance. The HCMC Mother-Baby Day Hospital accepts most major medical insurance providers, as well as Medicaid and Medicare. If you do not have medical insurance, we will work with you to discuss options.
Parking is available in the "Hospital" Parking Ramp that is connected to the Parkside Professional Center. The entrances to the "Hospital" Parking Ramp are at 8th or 9th Street (off Chicago Avenue). There are also a limited number of metered parking spaces around the parking ramp.