Hennepin County Medical Center’s Breastfeeding Services are available to help mothers meet their breastfeeding goals.
What is a Lactation Consultant?
A Lactation Consultant is someone specially trained to provide information and assistance to the breastfeeding mother. Our lactation consultants are International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC). The specialist does not replace a visit to your regular health care provider - he or she is a member of your health care team. Your lactation consultant is part of your support system at HCMC who can help you with all the questions and concerns you might have about breastfeeding.
Meet our team
- Angel Anderson, RN, IBCLC, RLC
- Sheila Humphrey, RN, IBCLC, RLC
- Anna Mueller, MA, RN, IBCLC, RLC
- Jennifer Rian-Mendolia, BA, IBCLC, RLC
- Jessica Tangen, BS, IBCLC, RLC
- Joanne Wesley, BA, IBCLC, RLC
- Nasra Yusuf, RN, IBCLC, RLC
We're here to help mothers who:
- want to know more about breastfeeding before baby is born;
- want to breastfeed;
- are breastfeeding and are having problems;
- have babies with special needs;
- need to know how to fit breastfeeding into a busy life;
- just need someone to talk to about breastfeeding.
- In the mother's hospital room, after your baby is born;
- In the NBICU and Pediatric Unit, if your baby stays in the hospital or needs to come back;
- In the Breastfeeding Clinic, if you have gone home and need help.
The Breastfeeding Clinic
The Breastfeeding Clinic is open Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. The clinic is located in the Orange building, 1st floor, room 130 (O1.130). Lactation consultants are available to assist any mother-even if you did not deliver your baby at HCMC. The Lactation Consultants provide in-person and over the phone help. A lactation consultant will return your call and help to answer your questions and provide you with information. If a breastfeeding problem is not easily resolved over the phone, an appointment can be arranged for mothers to bring their babies to the clinic. There is a charge for clinic visits. Fees may be covered by your health insurance provider.
Mothers may want to consider a visit to the clinic for the following situations:
- Baby not gaining weight appropriately
- Baby has sucking problems
- Nipples persistently sore
- Flat or inverted nipples
- Severe breast engorgement
- Problems with milk supply (too much or too little)
- Nursing an adopted baby
- Difficulty with breastfeeding technique
- A breastfeeding baby who has special needs due to illness or prematurity
- Nursing twins or triplets
During the visit, the staff will take a history of the mother and baby, observe the baby during a feeding, determine possible causes of difficulty, and offer options from which the mother can choose to help solve the problems she and her baby are experiencing.When a woman calls or comes to the clinic for information or help with breastfeeding concerns, the staff maintains contact with the family’s health care provider(s), relaying information on breastfeeding problems and progress.
If you have any of these needs, or if you have questions, ask your provider to refer you to a lactation consultant, or call 612-873-MILK (6455) from 8:00 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday-Friday. In addition to serving our patients, we are available to all HCMC employees.
The Breastfeeding Boutique, located inside the Birth Center, offers a variety of breast pumps and supplies to help meet your needs. We are proud to offer Ameda and Medela products.
- Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Double Electric Breast pump
- Ameda Purely Yours Basic Double Electric Breast pump
- Ameda Dual Hygienikit
- Ameda CustomFit Medium/Large flanges
- Ameda CustomFit Extra Large/XXL flanges
- Ameda ComfortGel pads
- Ameda Store N Pour bags (20 count)
- Ameda spare pump parts-Silicone Diaphragms and white valves
- Ameda 24 mm nipple shield
- Medela Pump-In-Style Advanced on the Go
- Medela Pump-In-Style Advanced Backpack
- Medela spare pump parts-valves and membranes
- Medela PersonalFit Connectors
- Medela PersonalFit Standard breastshields
- Medela PersonalFit Large breastshields
- Medela PersonalFit Extra Large breastshields
- Medela PersonalFit XXL breastshields
We accept cash, checks, and major credit cards. We do not bill insurance companies but can provide you a detailed receipt if you wish to submit an item to your insurance.
Items are available for sale 7 days per week, 7am-10pm.